A time tracker is an efficient tool used to keep records of work hours. It helps measure teams’ billable time and gives an insight into how much time was spent on different tasks, projects, and clients.
Remoty is a lightweight time and attendance management software that offers extensive features of task and time tracking. It’s a tool built on Slack that syncs your favorite project management and work collaboration tools.
What is ClickUp Time Tracking?
ClickUp is a cloud-based powerful time-tracking software that fosters a culture of accountability and teamwork in the workforce and empowers your team to strive for more. It is a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS-based) designed to automate the HR process and allow you to spend less time on administrative tasks and concentrate on priorities. The software has many rich features including communication and collaboration tools, task assignments and project statuses, document management, alerts, multiple views (list and Gantt chart), custom fields, workflow automation, and intuitive dashboards.
ClickUp Native Time Tracking
The native time tracking provided right into ClickUp offers the edge to:
- Enable the Time Tracking ClickApp
- Individual guests to track time (with the access granted by workspace admin)
- Time Tracking on all ClickUp plans. (certain features are only available on Business Plan)
Enable the Time Tracking ClickApp
ClickApp lets you create and edit time entries seamlessly across various synced platforms i.e. Web, Desktop, and Mobile app. It means that if you start a time entry in mobile, you’ll see it running when you are back at your computer and similarly if you start a time entry from your computer, you’ll see the timer running at the top of the app. The admin needs to turn on the Time Tracking ClickApp for the Workspace from their computer. ClickUp’s Native Time tracking is accessible for admins, members, and guests. It allows you the following:
- Adding a time entry description
- Adding labels to a time entry
- Marking a time entry as billable
- Tracking time unassociated with any task in particular
Ways of ClickUp Native Time Tracking
Start a timer
- Select a task to track time on or start a timer without linking to any task.
- Click- On the button to start a timer.
- Move smoothly between your current tasks by adding a new timer from a previous task entry.
This is optional for Workspaces on ClickUp’s Business Plan.
Manually create or edit a time entry
- Open up your ClickUp task menu and select time tracked.
- Select Manual.
- Enter the amount of time spent.
- Select a task to track time on.
- Add time entry details like notes, labels, and billable data.
- Click Save to log a time entry.
Add a Range
- Select range.
- Enter the start time and end time.
- Select a task to track time on.
- Add time entry details.
- Click Save.
From the Quick Action menu with recent history
- Click on the Quick Action button in the lower-right corner.
- Select track time.
- Select a recent task of your choice with time entries to edit them.
- Check on the ellipsis to edit an individual time entry.
- Edit the details and select confirm to finalize changes.
Edit time entries from a task
- Open a selected task.
- Hit the Start button to start a timer Or tap on-track time to add a new time entry.
- Click track time to see recent time entries for that task.
- Choose each person to expand their time entries.
- Select the ellipsis to edit each time entry.
- Edit the details and hit confirm button.
A How-To Guide on ClickUp Native Time Tracking
1. Time Tracking ClickApp
Enable Time Tracking for Workspace
Enable the Time Tracking ClickApp from ClickUps’s Workspace settings.
- Click your Workspace avatar icon in the lower-left corner
- Browse ClickApps
- Search for the Time Tracking ClickApp
- Choose the Time Tracking ClickApp to enable it on all Spaces
- Uncheck any Spaces which do not use the Time Tracking option
- Press the icon to turn on Time Tracking.
Enable Time Tracking for individual Spaces
You can also enable the Time Tracking ClickApp for individual Spaces.
- Browse the Space Settings ellipsis icon in the Sidebar.
- Navigate to the ClickApps available for your Space and click the Time Tracking icon.
- Click Time Tracking to select the ClickApp.
- Review changes and click Save to enable Time Tracking for this Space.
Courtesy: ClickUp Docs
2. Access Time Tracking
The admin can access the Time Tracking modal from:
- Task view
- The Quick Action menu in the lower-right corner
- List view and Board view
Time Tracked field on tasks
Open the Time Tracking modal on a chosen task by clicking the Time Tracked field.
Track Time from the Quick Action menu
Access the Quick action menu button to open the Time Tracking modal.
View the Tracked Time field in the List view
- Open a List view.
- Click the add icon to include a column.
- Select Show/Hide.
- Scroll or search for Time Tracked.
- Once added, you can:
- Press the start button to instantly start a timer on a task.
- Or choose the time duration tracked to open the Time Tracking modal.
View the Tracked Time field in the Board view
- Open a Board view.
- Click Show.
- Tap the Time Tracker toggle to include the Time Tracked field to task cards.
- Once added, you can:
- Tap the button to immediately start a timer on a task.
- Or click the duration of time tracked to open the Time Tracking modal.
Access Time Tracking using the ClickUp’s Chrome Extension
You can create the time entries associated with tasks while you browse the web with ClickUp Chrome Extension.
3. Next steps
After enabling Time Tracking for your Workspace, you can continue with adding time entries, creating reports, integrating via our ClickUp API, and using a mobile device for time tracking.
Create and edit time entries
The admins can enter and update time tracked from the Time Tracking modal which is available through the Quick Action menu, via on tasks, in List view, and Board view. You can also access time tracking via Mobile App, and with the ClickUp API.
Report on time tracking data
You can check out your time entry data throughout your Workspace. You can also create reports using Time Tracking Dashboard widgets.
Track time on the go with the Mobile App
- Start a timer on your computer and stop it from your smartphone, or vice versa.
- Enter and edit time entries in your Workspace or on specific tasks, just like on the Web or Desktop.
Time Tracking with the ClickUp API
You can build your own robust time tracking integration with the following data:
- Get time entries within a date range.
- Add & remove tags.
- Get running time entries.
- Start and stop a timer
ClickUp mobile time tracking API calls include task ID, title, status, task tags, Space, Folder, and List information so you can retrieve your time entry data with meaningful context anywhere anytime.
With the ClickUp widgets, you can:
- Browse the total time worked by individual employees.
- Filter and organize time entries by different parameters.
- Analyze how effort and time-consuming a specific task has been.
- Export all tracked data for an even more in-depth look.
The available widgets are as follows:
- Time Reporting
- Billable Report
- Time Estimated
- Time Tracked
Add a Time Tracking widget
You can add Time Tracking widgets to your new or existing ClickUp Dashboards.
- Create a new Dashboard Or visit an existing Dashboard and switch to Edit mode.
- Click and Add widget in the top right corner.
- Select the Time Tracking widget category.
- Choose a Time Tracking widget.
- Browse the Location (only applicable to Time Estimated & Time Tracked): Pick one or multiple Spaces, Folders, or Lists within your Workspace.
- Set the Time Range: Enter how much time you want to be included such as this year, month, week, or a custom time frame.
- Sort Grouping (only applicable to Time Reporting & Billable Reporting): Select how you want time to be grouped, and even add a second level.
- Press Time Labels: Filter the time entries by labels added to the time entry.
- Add People: Select who’s time you want to be included in the report.
- Ascertain Billable: Choose whether you want to display billable, non-billable, or both
- Insert Archived: Toggle archived tasks to be included or excluded
- Display Time Estimates: Toggle on to show how much time was estimated
- Add tasks in Multiple Lists: Toggle on to display time tracked from tasks in Multiple Lists
- Include a Filter: Add additional filters to further adjust the scope of your widget
Guests and users with view-only permissions can set Time Range, and choose Time Labels, but cannot filter people or select categorizing options. The option of Exporting Time Tracking Widgets is a part of the Business Plan offering. You can browse for Custom Fields to add them to your Dashboard widget.
Courtesy: ClickUp Docs
1. Time Reporting
You can view all your time entries, filter by multiple characteristics, and display them in customizable categories.
- Label by Task, List, Folder, or Space and users up to two levels through the grouping menu in the widget settings.
- Toggle on Time Estimates to show the estimated time in a column.
- Press billable or non-billable time entries from the dropdown.
The Date-defined filters only show tasks that have time tracked within a certain time period. The Time Reporting Widget is available on ClickUp Unlimited Plan.
The admin can see time tracked for a given week, month, or any custom range.
- Browse the task and the individual time entry.
- Display time grouped by day and compare against a 12 hour day.
- Get the total results of time per selected time range.
If you would like to change the time from a 12-hour day format, you can check the default number of hours in a workday in the Time Estimates ClickApp. The Timesheet Widget is available on the ClickUp Business Plan.
3. Billable Report
Billable time is a quick way to display a report with only billable time. The Billable Report Widget is available on the Business Plan.
4. Time Estimated (legacy)
Quickly view time as a team resource for planning projects with this widget. The Time Estimated Widget is available on the Unlimited Plan.
- The time remaining indicator calculates (time estimated) – (time logged) to determine whether or not your goals are on schedule.
- This report does not provide a time period filter. Time estimated is not inherently related to exact dates. Therefore, adding a time period filter for this feature would render its comparison with the time-tracked feature useless.
- This widget also gives you the ability to export much more data.
5. Time Tracked (legacy)
See a total of how much time each person in your Workspace has tracked. The Time Tracked (legacy) Widget is available on the Unlimited Plan.
- With cumulative time tracking logs for each Workspace user, there’s accurate information on how time-consuming a List of tasks has been
- This includes time tracked manually and automatically
- Export the data for even more information
Limitations of ClickUp’s Native Time Tracking
Although ClickUp’s native time tracker is simple and easy to use, it lacks some essential time tracking options, like:
- A description of the team’s web activity to know if they’re on productive websites and accomplishing work within estimated deadlines.
- Monitoring individual time spent on a task or project when assigned to various team members.
- Timesheet approval to prevent unauthorized time edits.
- Pop-up notifications to bring employees’ attention back to work and help them focus.
- Payroll management for time-saving payroll and billing process.
9 Best ClickUp Time Tracking Tools
Chrome Extension-based time tracking tools are for use with the ClickUp web app and will not work in the ClickUp Desktop app. Here are seven excellent tools to track time inside ClickUp:
Time Tracking with the ClickUp API
Build your own time tracking integration with our API. Build robust time tracking tools with the following data:
- Get time entries within a date range
- Add & remove tags
- Get running time entries
- Start and stop a timer
The ClickUp time tracking API calls include task id, title, status, task tags, Space, Folder, and List information so you can retrieve your time entry data with meaningful context.
Integrate time tracking apps with ClickUp
Remoty offers various features. Major of them are as follows:
You can get a detailed overview of the time utilization you spend on every task at any time period with a single click. For precise evaluation of your productivity, Remoty’s time waste detection service keeps team members accountable for time mismanagement by providing you with a detailed analysis of their workable hours.
You can select activities to work on and enter your time. The system generates time logs and keeps records of all data entries. When needed, you can simply check them through the Slack dashboard.
Generate Billable Hours Export Payrolls
You can create an invoice of the employees’ billable hours and send them to your clients for payment. You can also send payrolls of your teams’ billed hours in PDF format.
The team members to quickly and efficiently track their attendance absences, work, and billable time. Being the admin, you can edit time logs of submitted timesheets, manage work logs on custom views, approve/ reject your teams’ timesheets, add comments on approval or rejection, and email notifications to your members.
Whether your employees work remotely, with the team, or independently, the admins can instantly create and assign tasks to them. Remoty’s Task Management System ensures that they stay on track and accomplish their goals in time.
The members can take the tasks, upload files, and communicate with other members assigned the same task. The team leads can set a timer for task completion and view the task’s status and progress from the dashboard.
Monitor Team Activities
You can see where you spend the most time or how much your team members have accomplished with the Now Command feature of Remoty that keeps you informed of the work progress of your team.
Daily stand-up meetings enhance teams’ productivity. Your team can benefit from short, focused sync meetings that help keep you aligned on projects, overcome obstacles, and meet goals. The daily async meeting fosters a collaborative, healthy environment for better decision-making and problem-solving.
Good customer service fosters a healthy relationship between companies and their clients. Therefore, our customer support team is always ready to assist you with blockers on about the installation, working, or features of our software.
Remoty is a time tracking tool built-in Slack. It is an easy-to-use, intuitive, lightweight time tracker for your desk, field, hybrid and remote teams. With the Remoty app, you can keep your teams in sync with easy commands and shortcuts right from your Slack dashboard.
The best part of Remoty is that it minimizes context switching by offering a robust time and attendance tracking experience for your ClickUp and Jira users. Remoty’s integration has a 2-way working capability with these integrations. You can use Remoty to import tasks from different apps and the tracked time (regarding per specific task per specific person) is sent back to the required apps. The recorded timesheet database is then utilized to generate analytics that are super easy to comprehend and offer great value in terms of insights for future decision-making about your business processes. Moreover, the Trello-inspired Kanban Boards show real-time workflow breakdown that helps members and stakeholders to visualize who is working on what at a particular time.
Log Time for Your Time Tracking Tool Right Within Slack
Get started for free. No card required.
2. Time Doctor
TimeDoctor enables employee accountability by URL/web tracking that allows you to see what websites, and applications your employees use. Also, you can activate the screenshots feature to monitor geographically distributed employees. TimeDoctor syncs with more than 60 management, accounting, and communications software, and ClickUp is one of them.
Everhour is a robust time management software that offers various budgeting, invoicing, and payroll features to optimize your teams’ workflows. The app has an intuitive dashboard to monitor all time and expense data. Also, It has the capability to compare project time estimates vs. the actual time taken. The admins can review who’s available and plan employee schedules and assign tasks accordingly in Everhour and import the whole information to ClickUp smoothly.
The app offers a very clear and organized interface with a dashboard view and highly customizable reports that you can export to clients in multiple formats. The scheduling feature lets you streamline projects, visualize teams’ capacity and overtime activities. You can configure your time-off policies, manage team members’ leave approvals, and define employee holidays for paid leaves. In Clockify, you can group your projects by task type and allocate multiple levels of hourly rates. The tool also has an expense tracking and cost estimation feature. Clockify app offers integrations with 50+ web tools including ClickUp. You can also add the browser extension.
TMetric is a lightweight time tracking software that supports small businesses to scale up, increase their profit, and efficiently manage a workforce. TMetric’s task tracking involves task assignment, productivity measurement, workflow monitoring along with a detailed breakdown of each project/task according to the assigned person and time-all visible in the dashboard. The project management includes creating projects, project’s billable hourly rates, and budgets, deadline tracking and assigning members. The tracked data of time can be utilized to generate reports. The app offers comprehensive payroll, billing, and invoicing features by integrations with apps like ClickUp. The reports can be printed in various formats like PDF,CSV etc.. The app is available on platforms such as macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.
Harvest is a time tracker that provides features of manual timesheets, log hours, downloadable reports, projects, invoicing, tracking billable time, and simple scheduling. The app also has its separate employee scheduling app called Harvest Forecast. Additional features include a timer for time tracking, the option to remove idle time from a running timer, timesheets history view feature, offline mode, quick links to manage projects and tasks. Harvest syncs well with apps like ClickUp Asana, Slack, Jira, and Trello and help you retrieve important data. It also offers a browser extension.
Timely is a time and attendance tracking software that automates time recording. It has a user-friendly interface and highly secured privacy protection features. Timely offers integration with various other tools like ClickUp. Timely ensures in-depth monitoring of employee capacity, hours, and overtime. The admin can drill down the information about any of the specific areas from the dashboard. Timely’s task tracking feature includes planning, collaborating, and organizing projects effectively. In addition, project and team planning involve scheduling all resources from one place.
Toggl Track has a vibrant interface. The app offers integrations with over 100 other apps. In the app you will find the feature of tags, task tracking, team management, and a web time clock app. In reports, you can select the level of data breakdown(summary, weekly or detailed), filter, and sort your data. Toggl lets you to schedule your favorite reports to regularly arrive in your inbox so you can stay up-to-date. The desktop and mobile app allow you to track time automatically or add time entries manually. And ofcouse, Toggl integration with ClickUp is available.
Hubstaff is a popular time tracker for ClickUp that synchronizes with the cloud and shows reports based on the activity level, and the location of every employee. The app helps you track project hours, budgets, and billable hours. It has GPS and geofencing capabilities too.
The timesheet generated by the tool gives a detailed breakdown of employees’ worked hours by different categories i.e, by client, date, and project. The application offers the feature of attendance management along with a detailed account of late/early clock-ins/outs, and missed shifts. The app has the feature of automated notifications, when enabled, it ensures your team doesn’t forget to track their time and send alerts to stop tracking or reassign time with the idle time detection feature. Hubstaff is available for windows, chrome, and as a mobile app. The app integrates well with more than 30 other business apps of which ClickUp is on the top of the list.
Though ClickUp’s native time tracker can be useful, you can avail several advanced time management features provided exclusively by dedicated time tracking tools like Remoty- an amazing tool for Slack Time Tracking. Book your demo to experience yourself!