Time tracking refers to how organizations record the working hours of people, ensure that everyone is on the same page, and gets compensated accurately for his/her time. Time Tracking is a subcategory of ‘time and attendance,’ which is an umbrella term typically including other elements like attendance/absences, paid/unpaid time off, billable hours, and scheduling, etc.
The time tracking process can be broken down into three main steps:
- Time entry
Time entry is the daily process by which an employer records employees’ starting times, finishing times, and work breaks. These times are called timestamps, can be recorded on a physical document called a timecard or via an electronic method like a spreadsheet or time-tracking software.
Unlike traditional methods, the management software saves your time, effort, and energy. Businesses now take a proactive initiative to achieve sustainable development goals. The practice of storage of manual timesheets, reports punch cards is becoming obsolete. Software like Jira stores the entire information of the users into the local servers or cloud-based database which can be easily accessed through computers or other devices.
The approvals can be automated or regulated by the admin. The statistical visuals generated by the automated system show the complete performance record of each employee on each project. This helps the admin monitor present productivity trends and forecast for better future decision-making.
Why Switch to Jira Enable Time Tracking Solution?
Here are the essential features which make Jira Enable Time Tracking software a worth try:
Intuitiveness and Easy Administration
It is easy to deploy and helps you manage the time attendance-related needs of your business. It also helps you gain complete control over projects, resources, costs, billing, etc. It supports both your front-office and back-office systems.
Jira Enable Time Tracking software shares data with commonly used CRM, project management, accounting, and ERP applications. It provides real-time visibility into clients, projects, resources, and billing using reports and advanced dashboards (Kanban/Sprints). This lets you stay on top of business.
Customization and Integration
Jira Enable Time Tracking tool is configurable to your unique requirements, models, complex time tracking use cases, and supports comprehensive end-to-end workflows. It is a great software for multi-dimensional organizations to build tailor-made end-users products for different departments as per their needs. It can integrate and work within the environment of third-party applications, which makes it more suitable for different types of organizations and industries.
Scalable and Agile
Jira Enable Time Tracking plugin is a modern, agile, and purpose-built time management product. It boosts your scalability by handling large, global deployments, ensuring that your business gets the maximum Return on Investments as it grows.
Jira Enable Time Tracking software provides accessibility from any mobile device. Cloud mobile apps include almost complete coverage of all views that are available on the web. As a manager, you receive real-time updates on a single screen from your desktop or mobile phone—thus delivering you the data you need right now to make smart decisions.
Jira Enable Time Tracking software has robust infrastructure technology and processes to ensure the safety, scalability, security, and integrity fit for your enterprise.
Roadmaps help you plan and communicate better in Jira. They keep your teams and organization in sync and on target to achieve goals. You can plan and track your team’s progress in real-time. The Jira Enable Time Tracking tool lets you visualize dependencies within your team so you’re able to account for them when you’re making plans.
Jira Enable Time Tracking plugin lets you focus on the important things, automation handles the rest. You can start right away with in-built automation templates.
Jira Time Tracking Reports
The Jira Time Tracking Report shows vital Time Tracking data on issues for a certain project version. This report displays time estimates for all issues and whether they are ahead of or behind schedule.
Jira isn’t optimized to deliver advanced analytical reports. The built-in reports in JIRA do keep the whole history of logged hours in a particular task, yet they don’t let you extract the hours per individual (they just show the total hours on the task and every single work log added with no possibility of doing customization in the raw records). However, there is a vast ecosystem built around the core product. In the Atlassian Marketplace, you will find numerous apps – both free and paid – that add lots of relevant features to time tracking. They range from simple to complex full-featured reporting solutions which you can opt for according to the unique requirements of your work.
- Jira’s native time tracker
- Browser extensions
- Atlassian plugins
- Third-party plugins
One of the best integrations for Jira is Remoty. Remoty is a lightweight time-tracking plugin that can seamlessly function with the complex Jira platform.
Significance of Jira Time Tracking Reports
Keeping track of your project’s time and presenting it in clear analytics have several definite benefits, such as:
- Efficient task management. If the project leaders know how much time is being spent on specific tasks, they can make more informed and evaluated decisions about the delegation and timing of tasks, allowing for a more streamlined.
- Intuitive visual reports. Time tracking lets you be more transparent to your stakeholders, partners, and clients because you can easily communicate precisely how you’re spending your time using engaging and easily accessible visual reports.
- Implementable feedback. Insightful records allow you to properly assess your team’s performance and give valuable feedback that can practically be implemented in the next stages of your project.
- Convenient payrolling and client Having an accurate record of your teams’ time makes it easy for you to generate their work payrolls. Similarly, you can invoice clients and communicate your work processes much more efficiently.
- Accurate delivery estimates. A Jira time tracking report by the user lets you eliminate vagueness and guesswork- thus allowing you to make accurate estimates based on real data.
- Vast integrations. With the right figures at your disposal, you can better decide which aspects of your Jira workflow need improvement. This leads you to choose the right Jira Marketplace add-ons.
Jira Time Tracking Report Metrics
There are 4 Jira Time Tracking report metrics:
- Original Estimate. The Jira estimate time feature is an analytical metric that displays your team’s estimated time of finishing respective issues based on existing data.
- Estimated Time Remaining.The current running estimate of how much time it will take to finish the ongoing issue.
- Time Spent. This metric will display the total time spent working on a particular topic, issue, useful for prioritization, determining overdue, and feedback.
- Accuracy. This metric shows the difference between the Original Estimate field and the sum of the Time Spent and Estimated Time Remaining fields.
Use cases of Jira Time Tracking Report
Below are the few use cases, where Jira Time Tracking reports are extremely useful:
- To monitor time was spent on each issue, task, or project.
- To assess and allocate projects in accordance with the current reports.
- To begin triangulation, start estimating deadlines using previous projects as a primary guide.
- To make analytical reports of the amount of time spent on various projects.
- To generate client timesheets
- To sync third-party tools to help with time tracking
How to Configure Report in Jira
The steps needed to configure time tracking in Jira are as follows:
Step 1: Checking Time Tracking Permissions
You must give access to users, ‘Work on Issues’ permission in their project to track their time. Locate the settings menu and click on Issues, then go to Permission Schemes and select Permissions. There you will see a ‘Time Tracking Permission’ section, simply go to the ‘Work n Issues’ section and click Edit. Then, you can select, de-select users, groups, tasks, project roles, and click grant to give the permissions. There are five different types of permissions settings available here:
- Work On Issues- A user can keep track of his or her work associated with a problem.
- Delete All Worklogs- A user can delete all Worklogs, even those added by other users.
- Delete Own Worklogs- Only Worklogs made by the user can be deleted.
- Edit All Worklogs- All Worklogs, even those added by others in the workforce , can be edited by the user.
- Edit Own Worklogs- Only Worklogs that a crew member has personally added can be edited by the user.
Step 2: Enabling or Disabling Time Tracking
For Jira Cloud projects, time tracking is always enabled. In the field configurations of your projects, you can show or hide the time tracking field- along with adding or removing them from issue types.
Step 3: Configure Time Tracking
To configure time tracking in Jira, choose Issues from the menu bar, then select time tracking from the issue features sidebar. Then, select ‘Edit Global Settings’ from the menubar. You can configure the areas below to customize your settings and then press save.
Step 4: Selecting Time Tracking Provider
Custom vendors are available in the Atlassian Marketplace for Jira Cloud apps. In comparison to Jira’s default time tracking tools, Marketplace apps can provide more extensive Time Tracking capabilities.
Steps to Generate Report
The following 4 steps are needed to be implemented to build the Jira time tracking report:
Step 1: Navigating to Jira Time Tracking Report Menu Bar
To generate a Jira time tracking report navigate to the desired project/task. In the sidebar, click Reports and choose Forecast & Management and then choose Jira time tracking report.
Step 2: Selecting Respective Version and Issues for your Report
Select the version you want to report from the ‘Fix Version drop-down’ list. This way, a particular version of Jira issues will be included in the report. You have to choose which issues will be included in your report from the ‘Issues drop-down’ list.
Choose Incomplete Issues Only to eliminate issues that are either completed- have no estimated Time Remaining or are not Time-Tracked- do not have an Original Estimate.
Step 3: Sorting Issues for your Report
You can select how the issues in the report will get grouped from the ‘Sorting drop-down’ list. You can either pick ‘Least Completed Issues’ first to see issues with the ‘Highest Estimated Time Remaining’, or ‘Most Completed Issues’ first to see issues with the ‘Shortest Estimated Time Remaining’.
Step 4: Selecting Sub-Tasks for your Report
View which subtasks will be included in the report from the Sub-task Inclusion drop-down list for all parent issues that belong to the Fix Version you have chosen.
- To only include an issue’s sub-tasks if they belong to the same version as the problem, choose ‘Only include sub-tasks with the selected version;
- Pick ‘Also Include sub-tasks without a version set to include an issue’s sub-tasks whether they belong to the same version as the problem or no version at all;
- Take the option ‘Include All sub-tasks to include all of an issue’s sub-tasks, whether they belong to the same version, a different version, or none at all.
You can simply click next to successfully configure and generate Jira time tracking reports.
11 Best Jira Enable Time Tracking Applications
Here is a list of some of the best Jira Enabled Time Tracking Applications:
Remoty is a lightweight task tracking tool with extensive features of time tracking, task and attendance management. This Software-as-a-Service (SaaS-based) lets your Slack and Jira Teams stay organized keeping a check of their daily time logs, attendance, and work records. Remoty offers various features:
Whether your employees work remotely, with the team, or independently, You can instantly create and assign tasks to them. Remoty’s built-in task Management System ensures that they stay on track and accomplish their goals.
The members can take the tasks, upload files, and communicate with others assigned the same task. The team admin can set a timer for task completion and view the task’s status and progress from the dashboard.
You can enter hours manually or use a timer for time tracking. Remoty also lets you bill the workable hours of your team members. Time waste detection service makes the team members accountable for their time mismanagement.
Monitor Team Activities
You can see where you spend the most time or how much your team members have accomplished. The Now Command feature of Remoty keeps you informed of the work progress of your team.
Daily stand-up meetings lead to more productive teams. Your team can benefit from short, focused meetings that help keep you aligned on projects, overcome obstacles, and meet goals. The daily meeting fosters a collaborative, healthy environment for better decision-making and problem-solving.
You can select activities to work on and enter time. The system generates timesheets and keeps records of all time logs. When needed, you can simply view them through the Slack or Jira dashboard.
This enables the team members to quickly and efficiently track their absences, work, and billable time. You can edit logged time slots of submitted timesheets if needed, manage work logs on custom views, approve/ reject your teams’ timesheets, add comments on approval or rejection, and email notifications to your members.
Generate Billable Hours Export Payrolls
You can make an invoice of the employees’ billable hours and send them to your clients for payment. You can also export payrolls of your teams’ billed hours in PDF format.
Good customer service fosters a healthy relationship between companies and their customers. Therefore, our customer support team is always ready to assist you with queries about the installation, working, or features of our software.
What Makes Remoty 2.0 an ideal Jira Enable Time Tracking Tool?
Jira has numerous integrations and plugins to support the work management functions. So how does Remoty add value to Jira’s already so advanced set of functionalities? The simple answer is Time Tracking. Jira was missing a lightweight time tracking feature. The best part of Remoty is that it offers time tracking per task per person. In short, you get a holistic overview of your teams’ productive hours with Remoty.
Jira-Remoty Integration has so much to offer. This integration has a 2-way working capability. You can use Remoty to import tasks from Jira and the tracked time/task/person is sent back to Jira.
Simple and Easy to use
In Jira, understanding the complex terms might overwhelm you at the start and you might require training to get along with Jira. But Remoty is specially designed to be intuitive. It has a user-friendly interface and Slack dashboard. Remoty is like a bridge of connection between your Slack and Jira teams.
Remoty Kanban Boards
Remoty also offers Trello-inspired Kanban Boards showing cards, visual signals, stickies, tickets, etc. The teams can write items per user per card. The cards then help members and stakeholders visualize who is working on what at a particular time. Another feature of the kanban board is the columns. The columns represent a specific activity that together composes a workflow. It might have simple 3 stages; To Do, In Progress, and Done, or be a lot more complex as per your requirements. The work tasks flow from Commitment Point to Delivery Point. In this way, tasks are rightly organized and managed.
Ratings and Reviews
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (4 reviews)
- Appsumo: 5/5 (2 reviews)
(Yet to be Rated on Jira Marketplace)
- Freelancers: $2/user
- Teams: $4/user
Log Time for Your Jira Teams Right Within Slack
Free upto 10 users. 14 day free trial accessible
2. Toggl Synchronization for Jira
Toggl Synchronization for Jira allows you to enjoy all Toggl features and automatically synchronize your Toggl logs data into Jira. The running time is displayed directly in your issue from where you can control the time tracking.
- The automatic synchronization process of Toggl and Jira in the background begins regularly at 2 AM.
- The users can set the work log synchronization to manual or automatic.
- You can edit your Toggl entries before synchronizing them with Jira issues.
- The users can set the sync period based on their preferences.
- You can synchronize the work log together with comments.
- You can control the Toggl timer either directly from your Jira issue, from the backlog, or the Jira software board easily. Moreover, when using Start / Stop button, you can add comments, tags, or projects at the same time.
- If you have more than one work entry related to one issue within a day, TogglSync can sum up these entries and log the calculated time into a Jira issue at the same time.
3. Timesheets for Jira
Timesheets is an Appsfire product. The company’s growing portfolio of apps empowers teams worldwide with workflow automation, business intelligence, and administration at scale. You can extend the power of Jira by adding this app’s powerful time management capabilities.
- The app creates insightful time tracking reports with the intuitive report designer. The comprehensive time tracking reports offer key insights into workload and performance metrics.
- You can divide and categorize time tracking information using any combination of fields.
- You can define, capture, and report on custom work log attributes.
- The app comes with an out-of-the-box approval process.
- It integrates well with Tempo Timesheets.
- Integrations are available via Rest API.
- The tool supports custom fields, Agile, and Jira Service Management (formerly JSD).
- You can schedule automated reports via email.
- The app lets you share information with key stakeholders even if they don’t use Jira. It enables users to subscribe to automated delivery, and export to Excel for further data mining.
- The users can add time tracking reports and time entry gadgets to Jira dashboards.
4. Product Portfolio Roadmap with OKRs and Customer Requests
Dragonboat is a complete PPM (project and portfolio management) platform designed to make cross-project and cross-function dependencies ank links visible. It enables 360-degree management of project activities.
It is robust and intuitive tool with modules for Objective & Key Results (OKR software), Requests, Prioritization, Forecast, Staffing, and Dashboard module. It is a stand-alone system and is seamlessly integrated with Jira. Dragonboat is a flexible, responsive PPM tool that can be adopted by a single person, single team, or the entire company, at a fraction of the cost of traditional PPM tools which took months to implement.
- The ‘Ideas space’ has both a List and a Board view for product teams to easily collect, categorize, and prioritize ideas against your Goals/OKR, Strategies, themes, and other strategic drivers.
- Dragonboat enables automatic progress tracking at the portfolio, product, and project level for clear visibility across the company. The allocation report provides insights into your portfolio investment and team velocity.
5. Tempo Timesheets – Time Tracking & Reports
Tempo has been ranked as the #1 time management product in the Atlassian ecosystem since 2010. It is the market leader in automated time tracking and resource planning solutions. Tempo though is a nice product but its functionality may be limited for Jira Software Free and Jira Core Free.
- With Tempo, you can automatically complete timesheets through Google/Microsoft calendar plugins. The synced start/stop tracker auto-fills the log, and automated suggestions make timesheets easy to complete.
- You can build dynamic reports in seconds and drill down on elements of your choice to get the detailed information you need. The reporting function enables managers to review and approve their team’s timesheets, in bulk or individually. This helps in better planning for future bids and time utilization.
- The tool lets you create custom account labels to categorize time spent (task-wise) and understand how time is invested across teams.
- You can generate payrolls of team members and invoices of clients.
- The app provides full migration support from Server to Cloud.
- It offers a free mobile app.
- It has a free cost-tracker.
- It also offers multi-language support.
6. Agile Estimate for Jira
Agile Estimate is a Jira time tracking tool that visualizes, speeds up, and improves your sprint and backlog estimates. It’s compatible and configurable with Jira Scrum & Kanban boards, hours, and story points.
With Agile Estimate, instead of opening every issue detail just to put an estimate, you can simply drag & drop the estimation slider to edit the estimate. When you move the estimation slider you also are comparing the size of the currently estimated story with already estimated stories. This way your estimates get closer to reality due to such an interactive process.
- The stories are split into ‘technical tasks’ which contain essential details for estimation. On the Agile Estimate panel, the stories which have technical tasks are expandable. If you need to know more details about the story or its sub-task you can open issue details by simply clicking on the issue key.
- You can see the estimation statistics summary for points and time tracking on the estimation board toolbar. These estimates with the statistics widget provide an instant and up-to-date summary of all estimates.
7. Timescale – Time Tracking & Reports
Timescale is a fully-integrated, highly intuitive Jira cloud time tracking, timesheets & reports solution that evaluates real-time data for client billing and accounting.
- The tool builds automated reports and exports them in PDF, CSV, EXCEL format for further processing.
- It lets you generate weekly and monthly custom timesheets.
- The app offers teams, projects, and customers timesheets management with ‘Approve Timesheets Functionality’.
- You can set user availability per month.
- Timescale provides table and list view.
8. Sum it up
Sum it up supports time-tracking. It is an easy-to-use real-time calculation tool for Jira issues with handy dashboard gadgets. The app lets you estimate your epics- an epic is a large body of work that can be broken down into smaller stories or “Issues” in Jira. Epics often encompass multiple teams, on multiple projects, and can be tracked on multiple boards. You can also sum the value of any numerical fields you are using with this plugin.
- You can display multiple types of information for more efficient sprint planning, overview different types of bugs, and story points per person, etc.
- The new configuration interface is focused on usability, showing only relevant options, and helps you to fix issues you might have. This feature can be configured to work over the whole Jira instance (single Jira installation), or just selected projects. Also, the source & destination fields can be configured.
9. SIL Excel Reporting
Enabled by SIL data extraction and Excel analytics features, this software lets you use simple SIL scripts to export anything you wish to Excel. The hybrid reporting feature makes this app unique in the Atlassian ecosystem. With it, you can export and process data by using the Simple Issue Language (a very simple scripting language), leverage statistics and graphs with the help of ready-to-use Excel templates for standard Jira fields, time tracking, dashboards, and issue history, and all custom fields.
- You can use predefined templates that are relevant to your needs for time tracking, SLA analysis, project status, bottleneck detection, user overload, data export to data warehouse systems, and more.
- The tool allows you to share reports with the desired audience.
- Configurability lets you avoid unwanted data exposure, on top of Jira permissions and issue security rules.
- SIL can access Jira data, external databases, files on the server or connect to external systems enabling you to do a hybrid reporting feature.
10. Projectrak – Project Tracking for Jira
Projectrak (formerly Profields) is a Project Tracking solution for Jira Cloud. This Pie Chart or Two-Dimensional gadget lets you build Jira dashboards for multiple projects. This way you get a big picture based on project properties such as status or compare two different axes to get statistical project data.
The app improves control over your projects and makes decisions based on the essential data for you and your team. This way you can track projects, gain control, and make decisions based on visual insights. It’s quite easy to use. You just have to plug in & start tracking projects. The software’s Predefined Fields are a series of preconfigured fields organized within a layout ready to use after installing it.
- The app offers 10 predefined fields and 14 project field types.
- You can create customizable project fields along with customizable project information layouts.
- With Projectrack, you can visualize your project portfolio in one place and create new properties for your projects, such as their status, delivery date, or priority, to better track them.
- It offers a Public API.
- It lets you utilize Rich text fields (Wiki markup).
- It offers integrations with eazyBI, Dashboard Hub, Power BI Connector for Jira, Microsoft PowerBI, Tableau & Google Data Studio Connector.
11. Connector for Salesforce and Jira Server
Salesforce is a cloud-based software company that provides CRM services and enterprise applications focused on customer service, marketing automation, analytics, and application development. zAgileConnect offers powerful bidirectional integration of information between Jira and Salesforce. It improves coordination between project teams across the two applications so that both sides may efficiently sync, exchanges information, and track various activities.
- From within Salesforce, zAgileConnect lets you create new or link to existing Jira issues, search for specific issues, track issue status, view details, link to any in the search result set, and directly edit.
- By enabling easy exchange of comments and attachments between Salesforce and Jira, zAgileConnect helps improve collaboration between Sales, Customer Support, and Product Engineering teams.
- zAgileConnect provides built-in charts and reports representing various Account and Case-related metrics in the context of issue resolutions in Jira. These charts provide an in-depth analysis of the issues.
To Wrap Up
Time tracking in Jira can be made much easier with the utilization of the extensive capabilities of the above-mentioned plugins.
Remoty is one such tool that is specifically designed to be intuitive and lightweight to keep the process of data transfer as smooth as possible between apps.
What is your favorite time tracking products? Let us know in the comments!
Courtesy: Jira Marketplace
Also checkout our articles on: